Monday, January 17, 2022

Whither 1986?

(But this is a music show! Image from here.)

Why am I doing a radio show featuring music from 1986?  It's actually quite straightforward, which is not an adjective regularly used around here.

This is my birthday week - my birthday is on Thursday.  Self Help Radio began in October of 2002, & when the first Self Help Radio aired on my birthday week - it was January 22, 2003, which was after my birthday, & I've never done a birthday show after my birthday since then - I thought it might be fun to play music from the year of my birth, which was 1968.  & it so happened that every year after that - except one, 2004, when I had a guest program the show the week of my birth - I've moved a year up.  Last year for example I played my favorite music of 1985.  Next year it will be 1987.

1986 was a very important year for me musically.  In the fall I went away to college & I experienced freedom for the very first time.  That meant buying lots of records with grant & scholarship money, & listening to them in my room as often as possible.  So there's way too much music from 1986 to fit into a single radio show.  I'm sure I'll continue the show later in the year like I did 1985.

Also, many of the songs I love from that year are quite long.  What up with that?

Come back to my eighteenth year with me tonight on 90.7 fm & kboo.fm.  Midnight to 3am.  Maybe you were eighteen then too?

No comments: