Sunday, January 29, 2023

Preface To Greed: Hardly Ever Been Greedy

(Here's a picture of Greedo, from here.)

It may be self-serving to say I've never been greedy. I even was going to title this post "never been greedy." Then I remembered: I was a kid once.

In fact, as hard as it is to believe, I was a kid for the better part of the first few years of my life. I was a kid in a poor family, a family in which we didn't always have a well-stocked cupboard. Food was consumed as soon as it came into the house. So I suspect I could be quite greedy then.

In that sense I guess there was competition for food, but I don't recall many fights about it, which is funny, because my little brother & I rarely needed anything to fight about - we just fought.

It seems to me now like jealousy played a greater role in my childhood than greed did, & I wondered what the relationship between jealousy & greed was, so I did the search engine thing, & found on this web page these meanings:

Envy: Desiring what someone else has.
Greed: Desire something by itself.
Jealousy: Fear of losing something already in possession, involving a third party.

Not the most elegant of definitions, but it seems true enough. I can't remember a time when I came home & my brother was greedily eating a pizza by himself & I was jealous about it. But I would've been greedy too! 

Now I'm almost a senior citizen - when does that start, anyway?  The internets says 62.  I'm seven years away!  Holy shit!  Where was I.

Now I'm intolerably aged, I don't feel I am greedy about much. So why do a show about greed? Is it about Greedo? You dumb Star Wars nerd, are you doing a show because of Greedo? No, no. I'll tell you why tomorrow.

No comments: