Thursday, June 22, 2023

Whither Codes?

Use code names!

Sometimes shows begat shows. A few weeks ago there was a Self Help Radio episode about telegraphy - mainly telegrams & telegraphs. One of the segments we did purported to be an interview with a descendent of Samuel Morse. Something strange started happening after that.

Songs about Morse Code - not to mention instructional YouTube videos - began showing up in my computer world. It was probably some sneaky algorithm but it could also just have been my brain taking notice of something it had previously spent some time on. In any event, I succumbed & started collecting songs about code.

The amazing thing is how many different meaning the word has. & they're all related to the same word. I'm linking that because I don't think I'll talk about the etymology of the word on the show. I got a lot of songs & a lot of guests. I only have two hours.

But the show won't be in code. It will be on the air in Portland from noon to 2pm on the 90.3+98.3fm frequencies, & online everywhere at the Freeform Portland website. There's no secret code needed. No Self Help Radio secret decoder ring. Just tune in!

No comments: