Friday, July 14, 2023

Self Help Radio 071323: The Dumb Show

(Original image here)

Dumb show? More like FUNmb show, amirite? Oh that was dumb.

My week of computer hell continued yesterday with my laptop deciding to malfunction a half-hour before the show, so I began the show in a kind of panic. You may recall I was having issues with my web host last week - they appear to have been fixed without any input from me, which validates my original belief that it wasn't anything I was doing wrong - so computer fuckery came home to haunt me. But. No matter how dumb I was, how dumb the things happening to me were, how dumb ultimately everything I do is - the dumb show aired & that's all I could hope for. Gosh I'm dumb.

You can get in on all this dumbness by visiting the Self Help Radio website. Remember, to listen you'll need a username (SHR) & a password (selfhelp). The entire show can be downloaded for later, & everything that happened is mentioned below.

Hey! You're not dumb I'm dumb!

Self Help Radio's Dumb Show
"Dumbbell" The Cadillacs _The Complete Josie Sessions_
"Dumb Head" Sharades _Let's Go - Joe Meek's Girls!_
"Young, Dumb" Curtis Blandon _Lost Deep Soul Treasures Volume 1_

introduction & definitions

"Dum Fun" Bonnie Hayes with the Wild Combo _Good Clean Fun_
"I Love You, You Big Dummy" Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band _Lick My Decals Off, Baby_
"Dumbo The Flying Elephant" Joan Gerber _The Story Lady_
"The Dumb Waiters" The Makers Of The Dead Travel Fast _Can't Stop It! Australian Post-Punk 1978-82_
"Dumb" Poprace _Clear EP_

interview with self-described dumb person Wendy Ebersoll

"Dum Dum Girl" Talk Talk _It's My Life_
"Yeah, I'm Dumb" Grover _My Wild Life_
"The Dumb Gay Friend" Patton Oswalt _Finest Hour_
"We Play Dumb" Shampoo _Girl Power_
"Dum Dum" The Vaselines _The Way Of The Vaselines: A Complete History_

interview with Winston Evers, who has a "solution" for dumb people

"Poor Dumb Bird" Ida _Ten Small Paces_
"Big Dumb Man" John Maus _A Collection Of Rarities & Previously Unreleased Material_
"Teenagers Are Dumb" Jen Kirkman _Hail To The Freaks_
"Young & Dumb" The Lucksmiths _Warmer Corners_
"Dumbhead" The Shermans _In Technicolor_

interview with Walter Edwards, who likes dumb people

"Dumb It Down" Pernice Brothers _Discover A Lovelier You_
"Young & Dumb" The Soft City _The Soft City_
"Dumb Things" Doug Benson _Potty Mouth_
"Sticky Dumb Gum" Tada Tátà _Tada Tátà_
"Don't Act Dumb" Sonny & The Sunsets _Hit After Hit_

interview with Webster Engels, who doesn't like the word dumb

"Dum Dum" The High Violets _Heroes & Halos_
"Dumb Baby" The Coathangers _Nosebleed Weekend_
"Hey Dummy" The Exbats _E Is 4 Exbats_
"Dumb Dad?" John Heffron _The Better Half_
"Life Is Hard, But Life Is Hardest When You're Dumb" Austin Lounge Lizards _Small Minds_

conclusion & goodbye

"Dumb All Over (live)" Frank Zappa _Have I Offended Someone?_
"Dummkopf" Parsnip _Health 7"_
"Dumb" The Beautiful South _Quench_

No comments: