Friday, July 28, 2023

Self Help Radio 072723: Sirens

(original image on the Wikipedia)

They said it couldn't be done! & by they, I usually mean me, because I don't really believe in myself. Well, take that, me! Here's an entire show about sirens!

The only thing this show lacked was an idea I had for one of my fake interviews - I wanted to interview a retired siren. Alas, the improviser who I thought would be perfect for this was unavailable. I thought about just doing it myself but ran out of time. Another idea was me reading parts of the Odyssey in an over-the-top super hammy style - instead, I opted for stuff from an audiobook.

What you did get however is four good interviews & lots of great tunes. At least I think so. Go ahead, go listen to the show over at the Self Help Radio website. Please remember you need the username SHR & the password selfhelp to listen. All the stuff that happen on the show is below.

The original painting up there, by John William Waterhouse, is really rad, & I feel bad about defacing it. My apologies.

Self Help Radio Sirens Show
"J'Entends La Sirene" Edith Piaf _L'Accordeoniste_
"Isle Of Sirens" The Impressions _The Fabulous Impressions_
"Song To The Siren" This Mortal Coil _It'll End In Tears_

introduction & definitions

"The Poet & The Siren" Damien Youth _The Man Who Invented God_
"Dial 'S' For Siren (feat. the Randall Zanelli Singers)" The Barry Gemso Experience _Harpsichord 2000_
"Sirens Call" Louis Philippe _A Kiss In The Funhouse_
"Siren Song" The Besties _Singer_

interview with explorer Grant Adkins, who's looking for sirens

"Sirena" Calexico _Convict Pool_
"The Sailor & The Siren" Rusalnaia _Rusalnaia_
"Sirensong" The Cure _4:13 Dream_
"Sailor To Siren" Sam Beam & Jesca Hoop _Love Letter For Fire_

our resident cinephile Chuck stops by to talk about mythology in the movies

"Siren" Half Waif _The Caretaker_
"I Hear The Sirens" The Dirtbombs _We Have You Surrounded_
"Sirens" The Pack A.D. _Unpersons_
"The Siren Song" Joan Gerber _The Story Lady_
"Waiting For The Sirens' Call" New Order _Waiting For The Sirens' Call_

interview with classics scholar Dr. Gerald Arthur, who's written books about the Odyssey

"Siren Song" Brave Combo _No, No, No, Cha Cha Cha_
"The Siren Song" Folk Is People _The Devil Always Comes_
"Siren Song" Dinner _New Work_
"Siren" Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton _Choir Of The Mind_

interview with former captain Geoff Anderton, who has seen sirens
+ conclusion & goodbye

"Song To The Siren" Tim Buckley _Starsailor_
"Siren" Makthaverskan _III_
"Of Sirens, Vampires, & Lovers" Me & That Man _Songs Of Love & Death_
"Siren Song" Bat For Lashes _Two Suns_

No comments: