Tuesday, August 01, 2023

Dead Facebook Friends

(image from here)

This should not be shocking news: I don't have a lot of friends on Facebook. I don't have a lot of friends in real life. What isn't shocking (apparently) is that some of my Facebook friends are dead.

According to this article (which is called "Death On Facebook Now Common As 'Dead Profiles' Create Vast Virtual Cemetery" & which is over a decade old), "By the end of this year, 3 million Facebook users' pages will have become memorial sites for their owners." How many is it now, I wonder?

It reminds me of old Geocities websites. There was a time when everyone it seemed has some sort of web presence thanks to Geocities. Unsurprisingly, it was sold to Yahoo, who deleted the whole thing in 2009. & even more unsurprisingly, someone stepped up to try to archive as many of those sites as possible.

Is there a parallel between the early web & early silent films, where more than 75% are lost forever? I dunno. I maintained the KVRX website in the mid-90s & very rarely saved my work. Many things I created back then are lost now for good.

Meanwhile, of my less than 400 Facebook friends, I now count that at least ten are no longer with us (one of them is something I never met, who became friends with me because we had friends in common). I once mentioned I had a dream that Facebook would update our status once we died - it's very strange that these pages are still there, for folks to visit, with that eerie final post of theirs like words no one thought would be the last thing they ever wrote.

Should we be preparing our final social media post like our last words?

Maybe because I'm entering that phase of life in which, as my wife has said, "There are fewer marriages & births, & more divorces & death." It does seem like death is more visible & more inevitable. I wonder which of my Facebook friends will go next - & am painfully aware it could be me.

No comments: