Friday, August 04, 2023

Self Help Radio 080323: Tongues

(my dog Pauline is sticking her tongue out at you)

This is true: my wife has these cool images of tongues taken with a very powerful microscope. I thought, hey! I'd love to use one of those images for this week's show's page when I put the show up. But you know what? They're really gross. I mean, our tongues are pretty gross anyway. But up close, they look downright diseased. A total horror show.

Which is not what this week's show was! We had tongue twisters & slips of the tongue! We were tongue-tied & we spoke in tongues! We talked to experts & we talked about idioms! The only truly gross thing about the show is yours truly, & I do my best to minimize that. At least you don't have to look at me - I look downright diseased. Am I the close-up of a tongue?

Listen to the show with your ears but with your tongue hanging out at the Self Help Radio web site. Please remember you'll need to use a password - selfhelp - & a username - SHR. But you can download it! Everything that happens on the show is listed below.

As for me, I'm watching my tongue from here on in.

Self Help Radio Tongues Show
"The Tongue Song" The Ethnobabes _Thoughts On Barbecuing_
"Tongues" Tanya Tagaq _Tongues_
"Tongues (Everybody's Got One)" Modey Lemon _Thunder + Lightning_

introduction & definitions featuring a secret recording of an actual anatomist teaching about tongues!

"Lizard-Long-Tongue Boy" Bridget St. John _Ask Me No Questions_
"Sitting Here On A Tongue" The Grodeck Whipperjenny _The Grodeck Whipperjenny_
"Slip Of The Tongue" Nits _Work_
"Bit My Tongue" Earth Dad _Townies_

interview with Chet Martins of the Curb Your Tongue Society

"Sugar On My Tongue" Talking Heads _Popular Favorites 1976-1992: Sand In The Vaseline_
"Mary Long Tongue" Barrington Levy _The Barrington Levy Collection_
"Speaking In Tongues" Felicia Michaels _Lewd Awakenings_
"Mother Tongue" Dead Can Dance _The Serpent's Egg_

interview with Reverend Chris Masters, expert in speaking in tongues

"Tongue Tied" Betty McQuade _Hot Boppin' Girls Vol. II_
"I'm Tongue-Tied" The Magnetic Fields _i_
"Tongue-Tied" The Snow Fairies _Feel You Up_
"Tongue Tied" Bubblegum Lemonade _The Great Leap Backward_
"Tongue Tied" Erase Errata _Other Animals_

interview with Cory McIntyre of the Tip Of The Tongues Clubs

"It's On The Tip Of My Tongue" Doris Day _It's Magic (1947-1950)_
"Tip Of My Tongue" Tommy Quickly _The British Invasion: The History Of British Rock, Vol. 1_
"Right On The Tip Of My Tongue" Brenda & The Tabulations _Can You Dig It? The '70s Soul Experience_
"Tip Of My Tongue" Tall Dwarfs _Weeville_

idioms with tongues

"Lip Sync (To The Tounge Twisters)" Len Barry _The Very Best Of Len Barry: Original Master Recordings_
"Tongue Twisters" The Looking Glass _Tongue Twisters_
"Speaking In Tongues (feat. Terrence McKenna)" Spacetime Continuum _Alien Dreamtime_
"Tongue Of Fire" Gitane Demone _Never Felt So Alive_

conclusion & goodbye

"Spanish Is A Loving Tongue" Marianne Faithfull _Come My Way_
"Sharp Tongue" The Passage _Enflame_
"Tongues Begin To Wag" Orange Juice _Coals To Newcastle_

No comments: