Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Preface To Rumble: Rum Balls

(These rum balls don't rumble. Image from here.)

Confession time: though I love to cook, I'm not that good at baking. If I told you why I think that is, you would laugh at me, so I'm not going to say so. But one other reason is that often with baking if you follow the recipe exactly you might screw up because I believe like with gardening one needs to have a knack for baking. A kind of "yeasty thumb," if you will. But please don't.

Here's a recipe of vegan rum balls. They seem easy enough - & I love when people try to veganize recipes, I've done that a few times for non-dessert-y things, with mixed results. I haven't had a rum ball in a while & I am struck by how little rum goes in them. I might double the rum content. Or just finish the fifth of rum you bought for the recipe thinking you'd need more than a couple of tablespoons. Wow.

Rumble & rum ball are kinda homonyms, or rather, homophones, as people constantly correct me these days. It's like there's another kind of synonym out there that everyone has always called a synonym & then suddenly everyone's like "if it means the same but it's often considered not, it's a synophone."

Just as I wrote that, I wondered if there really were something called a synophone. I found only this reference on the internets, from here:

To my understanding, heterographs are words that have different meanings, different spellings, but sound the same. Synophones are words that have different meanings, different spellings, & sound similar but not the same.

So, ball & bawl would be heterographs, while ball & bell would be synophones.

This is what I get for trying to be sarcastic & make things up. Enjoy your rum balls!

No comments: