Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Preface To Hitchhiking: Never Hitchhiked

(image from here)

The sign above is (was?) (probably still is) in Arizona, but I could swear there are similar signs on I-45 in Texas. Lots of prisons down that corridor. One time I was driving to Austin with a friend's father & he picked up a guy just outside a sign like the one above. The father didn't ask me if I were okay with it, he just stopped & picked him up. I had told the friend's father that we were going the wrong direction, that Austin was down I-35 not I-45, but he chose to ignore me & only headed toward I-35 when the hitchhiker mentioned he needed to go that way. The hitchhiker lit a joint in the backseat & ignored us most of the way.

As for me, I've never had the occasion to hitchhike. Probably I'd be too fearful to do so. One time I was sitting at a bus stop reading a letter from a friend & a woman in a volkswagen stopped & asked if I wanted a ride. She said, "You seemed so happy reading that letter." I don't think she was hitting on me. I tried to become friends with her but we otherwise had nothing in common.

When I used to have to rent cars to get from one place to another, & I was alone, I would sometimes pick up hitch hikers. The last two or three had been in the sun for quite a while so were very, very smelly. They were also all Latino with a very little English. They were mainly looking to get a few miles down the road. I was happy to oblige.

Once I began dating the woman who became my wife, I didn't feel comfortable picking up hitchhikers since she didn't. I did one time ask her if we could pick up a hitchhiker & she looked at me like I was mentally unfit to be her partner. But we also tended to travel with dogs in the backseat.

It's been years - really, not since the last century - that I picked up a hitchhiker. So why do a radio show about hitchhikers? Ask me tomorrow.

No comments: