Tuesday, March 12, 2024

A Short History Of Big Announcements

(image from here)

Big announcements are weird. They assume a sense of importance that nothing I do or say ever ever has. There are so few people who listen to what I do on the radio that there's nearly nothing I could do or say that would affect anyone in any way. I could die tomorrow & virtually no one's lives would be affected - & this is not me being self-piteous, it's me stating a fact. There are some people (maybe) who've liked my radio shows but when they've stop listening, either because I moved away or they lost interest, they hardly ever thought about them again. This has been even more true in Portland.

It hasn't dissuaded me from making radio shows - I enjoy doing that & would do it, maybe, if I were the last person on the planet. I'd probably still give out a phone number. & abide by FCC rules. What the hell is wrong with me? Anyway, the point is, I'm about to make some changes & I have in the past reported those changes as "big announcements" & it always rubbed me the wrong way when I do that. So this time around I'm not going to make a big announcement. I'm just going to do it.

Actually, I might mention it on the radio, but probably as a fait accompli. Not that it isn't already - the decision has been made. Or, less passively, I have made the decision. My desire to make a big announcement, to pretend this thing I do is at all important in any way, or at least in a way that deserves a big announcement, I have confined to this blog post about big announcements.

What is the big announcement? It really isn't a big announcement, honestly. But I'll say it on the air on this week's show.

What isn't the big announcement? Here's what it isn't.
- I'm not pregnant.
- I don't have an incurable disease (that I know of).
- I'm not quitting radio (sorry everyone).
- It's not anything important.
- I'm not deliberately wasting your time.

It can be said, however, that mostly I waste your time. But it's not a deliberate act on my part!

No comments: