Thursday, March 07, 2024

Whither The Alphabet?

(image by Matt Baker at usefulcharts.com)

Here's a funny thing. I was absolutely convinced that the idea for a radio show about the alphabet had to do with a song I'm going to play today which came from a record from which I played another song recently. But then I checked & discovered that I played that song just two weeks ago. I've planned the alphabet show for a lot longer than that. It was on my website a month ago, for example. So now I have no idea what the inspiration was for this show. But I will say it was fun finding songs about the alphabet. I wonder if other languages - & other alphabets! - have as many songs about their alphabets. Maybe so! I just searched around & found this Sanskrit alphabet song. Maybe I can do a sequel to this show one day & explore different alphabets.

Mainly though I'm sticking with the one we use now - the one that we sing the song to memorize as kids. The one on the bottom line of the image above.

That show happens today oh dear! From noon to 2pm on Freeform Portland, which is on the air in Portland at 90.3+98.3fm & online at Freeform Portland dot org. I hope you'll give it a letter grade. May I suggest an X?

No comments: