Monday, July 01, 2024

Whither Death Valley?

("Death Valley Scenic Byway" from here.)

(A sad footnote is below)*

Sometimes you get a wild hair up your ass.

That delightful euphemism means, according to the Free Dictionary, to "become obsessed (with someone or something), often when said obsession is strange or unexpected."

Death Valley is not a place I've visited. I thought I drove through it almost thirty years ago, traveling from L.A. to Las Vegas, but apparently I did not.

Recently I've become a little obsessed with Death Valley. For no reason. Looking at pictures. Reading a little about it. Thinking it's not such a far drive from Portland, maybe I should head down there. & then, inevitably, wondering if there are any songs about Death Valley?

Of course there are! There are lots of them! I found tons! But did I find a lot of songs about Death Valley that I liked?

It turns out I did. & you can listen to them tonight. Midnight to 2am on 90.7fm here in Portland & at kboo dot fm everywhere in the world - maybe even Death Valley!

* I am trying to be whimsical & have fun with my radio show but the news today about the blatant corruption at the very heart of our country has made it very difficult. There's nothing I can much do about it & the helpless feeling is debilitating but I will try to make a fun radio show regardless. Just letting you know.

No comments: