Monday, September 02, 2024

Whither Sunglasses?


Yesterday in this space I confessed that I didn't wear sunglasses. I used to live in Texas! It may be why my eyesight is failing me now. In any event, you may ask, why is there going to be a radio show about sunglasses? This may be a longish answer:

On my computer I keep a folder where I place ideas for radio shows. I have many more ideas than I do radio shows, & sometimes the ideas are too specific or narrow & there just aren't enough songs. Sometimes the ideas are passing fancies. Most of the time they just linger there - I'll probably never get to most of them.

My friend Chuck - the show's resident cinephile - likes to appear on the show every three or four shows. After we talk, he asks me about shows coming up. He wants to watch more movies, damn it! Recently none the upcoming themes were inspiring him. So I looked into my computer folder of lingering show theme ideas & one that stood out for me was sunglasses. He liked it too. He'll be on the show tonight. That's how the theme came about.

Why did I think about a show about sunglasses in the first place? Absolutely no idea.

There was a person at KOOP in Austin who seemed angry at the arbitrariness of the show's themes. It would probably irk her that I'm doing a show about sunglasses at the end of summer! Luckily she's almost certainly forgotten the show existed.

Hopefully it will exist tonight on KBOO - 90.7fm in Portland & online at kboo dot fm - from midnight to 2am. Probably not the best time to wear sunglasses. But a pretty good time for a show about sunglasses maybe?

No comments: