A confession: I do not know where that image comes from. I downloaded it probably on Tumblr many moons ago. I do know it was taken by George W. Gardner & was apparently in a documentary at some point. But looking at that picture made me remember being a child & loving to look at globes.
Mainly in the library at school - we didn't have a globe at home. Staring at the globe, spinning it, tracing a line - an arc I guess - from where I was in Texas down past the equator to end up - where? Africa? The middle of the Atlantic Ocean? Australia? Then back up to China!
It's probably obvious I was a pretty dumb kid but I did love to pretend & even now my brain can't wrap itself around the idea we're on a round planet that rotates & as it does circles a star that's so huge but so far away it doesn't appear huge to us. A globe helps my brain. That's why they're such a joy.
& why don't I have a globe as big as the one in that picture? I don't have any room to put it in my house but boy do I want a globe that large!
& why don't I have a globe as big as the one in that picture? I don't have any room to put it in my house but boy do I want a globe that large!

No comments:
Post a Comment