Friday, December 21, 2012

The Curse Of The Curse Word Curator

This is weird - the great linguist Hugh Rawson doesn't have a Wikipedia entry.  He does have a page on the Huffington Post but that seems too rinky-dink for the great writer of Wicked Words, which, sadly, is no longer in print.

Though the book is written more as a resource (when you absolutely, positively need to know why "codswallop" is a bad word) than a narrative non-fiction book, I have found I can - & have - read it cover to cover & it's just as enjoyable.

For example, here's what he says about "codswallop":

"Nonsense, British-style.  Thus, when Sir Fred Hoyle, an astronomer, dared challenge the authenticity of a famous bird fossil, paleontologists rose up to defend their turf: '"It's rubbish," Dr. Cyril A. Walker, a paleontologist at the [British] museum, said of Sir Fred's contention. "Codswallop," echoed Dr. Alan J. Charig, a curator at the museum' (New York Times, 5/7/85). The word sounds as though it should be an old one, but the OED's earliest example comes only from 1963.  The OED says 'Origin unknown,' but it seems significant that cod is an old word for the scrotum and that codswallop is used derisively in the same way as the exclamatory Balls!"

(To be fair, the Wiktionary has a different etymology, but it seems more speculative.  I'd trust my friend Hugh here.)

(To be more fair, the folks at etymonline.com - another favorite site of mine! - split the difference.)

I gave money to Wikipedia this year & one of the things it asked when I shelled out the big bucks was something like "Would you like to learn how to edit a Wikipedia page?"  I said no - I mean, someone gave me a Metafilter membership once & I almost never visit that site anymore - but now I wish I had said yes - so I could create a Hugh Rawson page!

I'd probably also create a Self Help Radio page, so it's best I don't know how.

No comments: