Sunday, December 16, 2012

Whither Gary's Favorite Music 2012

The year-end lists are starting!  The end of the year is at hand!

Here's a list from the New York Times!  None of these records will be played on my show tomorrow.

Here's a list of the highest rated records by Pitchfork this year.  Nope, none of them made my top twenty-five.

(I won't do the show in top ten style.  It's hard enough to pick the song I liked best from the record I listened to most.)

It's funny, I am completely baffled by what people consider great.  I have probably shared my theory with you that people who review records for big publications end up reviewing stuff from major labels primarily because those labels can afford to send critics stuff for free.  Imagine a music critic going out to buy a record!  It's like a movie critic paying to see a movie!

I'm not a critic, I'm just a guy who knows what he likes.  I play the stuff I like & the stuff that got played the most is obviously the stuff I liked the most & that's the stuff I'll highlight tomorrow.

Hey!  You should listen!  It's tomorrow morning from 7 to 9am on 88.1 fm WRFL in Lexington.  Listen online simultaneously at wrfl.fm.  Listen later at selfhelpradio.net.

Make your own best of!  Make your own podcasts!  Start your own radio station!  Invite me on it!

No comments: