Thursday, November 28, 2013

Preface To Magda's Birthday Show 2013: What Else Is Going On?

I have a typically secular problem with a holiday like Thanksgiving, because I don't have an invisible friend to give thanks to.  Though I am generally very polite & thank people for things that I probably don't have to thank them for.

Which reminds me, I am kind of annoyed when people who work in the service industry, when I say, "Thank you," respond with, "You're welcome."  I know that's the correct response, but it feels a little smug & self-serving.  When I used to work at our convenience store, I would reply, "Thank you!" because I really did want to thank them for being there.  After all, they were being polite, but they didn't have to thank me for doing my job.  (Many folks didn't.)

I don't think I say "You're welcome" all that much, anyway.  I prefer to say, "No problem."  I like that the accepted response in both Spanish ("de nada") & French ("c'est rien") is basically the same - "It's nothing."  I will say that more often.  "Thank you."  "Oh, it's nothing!"

Humility trumps self-satisfaction every day.  He said smugly.

Anyway, I'm doing two radio shows today.  One is free-form (2 to 4pm); the other is me subbing Dave C's show "The Belfry" (4 to 6pm), which I generally enjoy doing.  I am going to play (what I consider) obscure psychedelic music from 1968.  It will make three 1968 shows I have done so far.  Which is of course the year I was born.  Boom!  I made it about birthdays even when it really wasn't!

Maybe you'll listen?  Maybe I'll just put it on my website this weekend.  We'll see.

No comments: