Monday, November 24, 2014

Ice Bombs!

What do you believe?  What don't you believe?  It seems like some people take the things that they take on faith very seriously.

Like, I used to work in a building called Batts Hall at the University of Texas at Austin.  There was a prankster who, about once a month, wrote, in the building's only elevator, in Sharpie, sometimes large but usually rather small, on the inside elevator door, this budding graffiti artist would write, "Jesus was gay."

As someone who doesn't really believe in anything supernatural, I was not in the least offended.  Of course, this was in the 1990s, when calling someone gay was considered an insult.  When I told my ex-sister-in-law Julie a few years ago that her husband at the time (& my brother) Steve told me when I was in seventh grade that she thought that I was gay, she apologized to me profusely & said she never had.  She believed that I thought she had insulted me.

The point of this story is that, however strong your faith is, it seems like a three-word sentence written in magic marker on the inside of an elevator door would be the least of your worries.  But every time I saw that, I could be certain that the next time I used the elevator, someone would have taken another magic marker (or a pen, or a nail) to violently scratch that little bit of graffiti out.

I'm sure that person who wrote it - who had to arrive before me, probably for an early class, since I had to be there at eight - checked on his or her work afterwards, & was probably amused as hell.

If you think that someone having an opinion about your deity/holy person/prophet is offense - well, I don't know why you're here -  but in case you are, ignore the next paragraph & please don't try to scratch my blog out with magic marker or a nail - you'll just hurt your monitor!

But if you're not offended - & in fact find things every shade of delightful - you may enjoy the Tumblr blog Christian Nightmares, from which I got the above image.  I recommend it for fun & information.

Also - "The Coming Ice Bombs?"

No comments: