Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Preface To Magda's Birthday Show 2014: So Many Birthdays Later

The Magda in the "Magda's Birthday Show 2014" is my wife.  Yes, that's her real name.

As I mentioned in last year's blog about this annual event: "I am contractually obligated by a deal I made before my marriage with my wife's lawyer to celebrate my wife's birthday on the air every year on the closest date to the actual birthday date (December 1)."

Who signs contracts like that?  It's worse than working for Clear Channel!

I have also complained about the fact that, since I don't repeat shows, I'm probably going to run out of birthday songs before too long.  I wish people who listen to my show would write birthday songs for the show.  A few musicians I know, I have begged for them to do so.  But they understand that it's simply not worth it - they get very little out of being on my dumb radio show, while I of course derive all the benefit from their talent.

Do you know any selfless but extremely talented musicians who want to write a birthday song for the show?  It helps also if they don't know that no one really listens to the show.

I'm thinking of having a "classic" set or two during the show next year, to re-play some of the songs that I've previously played.  But I have enough for another show this year.  Maybe for two years.  If more people would make more birthday songs!

This will be the tenth or maybe the eleventh birthday show I've done for my Magda, with the only "repeats" being covers of the a popular song, like the Beatles' "Birthday."

There are actually a lot more birthday songs than I could ever play, but a lot of them just suck.  They're really awful.  They share that trait with Christmas songs.  You could probably play unique Christmas recordings for 24 hours a day for 365 days & never have to repeat one.  Birthday songs might fill a week.  Or maybe a day.  Two days.  But most of the songs of that day (as with the Christmas songs for the year) would be awful.

Check back with me in 2016.  I should be pretty desperate then.

No comments: