Tuesday, April 21, 2015

I've Had A Weird Day

Sorry I am writing this so late.  Something wonderfully strange happened to me today that I can't at this point go into.  My wife also appears to have found a place for us to live in Pasadena, which is right next to Los Angeles, but which she found nicer homes to rent when she went house-hunting this past weekend.  I'm sorry I wasn't there to help her but I'm not sorry that I missed the experience.

The application to rent was insane.  She got off the plane last night & spent two hours filling it out.  She thinks, actually, that one of the reasons we may get the house is that no one else actually took the time to finish the damn application.

I think it'll be a month - or four weeks, really - from today that we'll be loading the animals into a car & leaving Lexington.  I've talked about the crazy four-day trek we're going to make, but as I sit here working on Friday's show, I worry more about the weeks I won't be doing Self Help Radio.  It's such an integral part of my life that not spending days listening to & gathering songs about a particular topic will feel odd, like I'm missing out on something.

& what the hell will I do in Los Angeles?  I've contacted a couple of radio stations but have so far gotten no replies.  I haven't pitched them anything - I tried that once & got a terse response from a person who obviously hadn't read my email & who replied, "We don't accept syndicated shows" - I just asked general questions about volunteering.  Non-commercial radio stations, where nearly no-one gets paid unless they're an NPR affiliate, are notorious for lack of follow-through.  I will visit them in person once I am in the city proper.  Or improper.

Look at me, writing about the future!  This week's show won't be anything special, so I'm taking it easy.  I like to ease out of places.  Next week's show will be more fun.  I will pack it with jam.  Did I use that phrase properly?  What?  Oh!  I meant to say it'll be jam-packed!  With jam.

The Jam?
No, jam!
It'll be delicious!

Sorry, I'm getting silly.  My day was surreal.  I will write about it soon!

No comments: