Sunday, February 28, 2016

Cradle To Grave, Episode Thirteen


Lucky episode thirteen. I'm not in the slightest superstitious (which is remarkable, because I was raised by a woman whose religion is superstition), so I wasn't going into this episode with dread.  In fact, I don't regularly number my radio shows (ie, this is Self Help Radio episode three hundred nine), so it doesn't usually come up.  Why am I number these shows?  I think it might be because I eventually hope to do 365 of these - one for each day of the year!

This week's show was bittersweet for me, because I had to play & talk about two people who are real heroes to me: Leonard Nimoy & Mister Fred Rogers.  I took their deaths pretty hard back into the day.  What's weird is that my heroes the easiest people to program - you know, because I know their work backwards & frontwards.  It would've been nicer, though, if I were celebrating their birthdays - & they were still alive.

The show is available now at Self Help Radio dot Net.  You can listen to it on your birthday.  But maybe not on the day you die.  I think you'll have other things to worry about then.

Here's what's on the show.  Enjoy!

(birthdays)

"Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child" Marian Anderson _Softly Awakes My Heart_
"Down Hearted Blues" Mildred Bailey & Her Alley Cats _The Ladies In Blues_
"Love For Sale" Elisabeth Welch _The Ultimate Elisabeth Welch_
"Junk Man" The Spirits Of Rhythm _1933-1945_
"Brown Sugar" Doc Cook & His Dreamland Orchestra _Freddie Keppard: Legend_

"Stack-A-Lee, Part 1" Archibald _The Complete New Orleans Sessions 1950-1952_
"Bon Ton Roula" Clarence Garlow _Let Me Tell You About The Blues: Texas - The Evolution Of Texas Blues_
"(Everytime I Hear) That Mellow Saxophone" Roy Montrell _Mardi Gras Blues_
"Hesitation Boogie" Hardrock Gunter _Hillbilly Boogie: Crazy Bout The Boogie_
"Singing The Blues" Guy Mitchell with Ray Coniff & His Orchestra _The Best Of Guy Mitchell_

"Sugar & Spice" The Cryan Shames _Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era_
"Mony Mony" Tommy James & The Shondells _The Best Of Tommy James & The Shondells_
"Do Something To Me" ? & The Mysterians _Mindrocker: Anthology Of 60s US-Punk Garage Psych, Vol. 11_
"Make Me Smile (Come Up & See Me)" Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel _The Best Years Of Our Lives_
"(Forever) Live & Die" Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark _The Pacific Age_
"Three O'Clock In The Morning" Dexter Gordon _Go_

(death anniversaries)

"Highly Illogical" Leonard Nimoy _Two Sides Of Leonard Nimoy_
"Dr. Ben Basey" Micky Shorr & The Cut-Ups _Dr. Ben Basey_
"Australia" Spike Milligan _The Spike Milligan Collection_
"I Laughed" The Jesters _The Best Of The Jesters_
"I Put The Bomp" Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers _It's Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers! Essential Recordings 1955-1961_

"When I'm In My Tea" Jo Jo Adams _Jump Blue: Rockin' The Jukes_
"Congo Beat" Saka Acquaye & His African Ensemble _Gold Coast Saturday Night_
"Psychedelic Train" The Chosen Few _Don Letts Presents The Mighty Trojan Sound_
"Superstar (Remember How You Got Where You Are)" The Temptations _The Complete Motown Singles, Vol. 11B: 1971_
"The Breaks, Pt. 1" Kurtis Blow _Say It Loud! A Celebration Of Black Music In America_

"You Ain't Heard Nothing 'Til You Hear Him Roar" Sons Of The Pioneers _Blue Prairie_
"Tightrope!" George Duning _Television's Greatest Hits, Vol. 4: Black & White Classics_
"Surfin'" The Orlons _Everybody's Goin' Surfin'_
"Girls Don't Count" Section 25 _Always Now_

"Nighttime Sounds/Tree, Tree, Tree" Mister Rogers _Bedtime_

No comments: