Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Self Help Radio 030116: Let's Pretend

(Original image here.)

Pretending to do a radio show is something I did way before someone foolishly let me behind a microphone.  I suspect that that's true for many people.  I used to love to watch WKRP In Cincinnati & daydream of being in that tiny booth spinning records all day long.  I never had two turntables at home - but Dr. Johnny Fever & Venus Flytrap were so unconcerned about their own radio shows that, once they'd started a record & got off the mic, they rarely cued another record up right away, which is generally what deejays do.  How I wish I could be that carefree behind the board!

Guess what?  I don't have to pretend anymore - I am sort of almost kind of a deejay a little.  Now, I've never been paid for this work (& if I had, it's a guarantee that someone would be asking me for their money back), so I am glad to accept the title "amateur."  But it's leaps & bounds away from pretending.

Not to cast aspersions on pretending!  Holy smokes, it's what this entire show is about!

You can listen now at the Self Help Radio website.  Though the songs might've seemed like pretend, they were as real as music can be.  The show is in two parts; what I played in each is listed below.

Maybe the show is more fun if you pretend to listen to it?

(part one)

"Let's Pretend There's A Moon" Fats Waller & His Rhythm _1934-1935_
"The Great Pretender" Stan Freberg _Capitol Collectors Series_
"Pretend" Carl Mann _The Legendary Sun Records_

"Let's Pretend" The Raspberries _Overnight Sensation: The Very Best Of The Raspberries_
"The Great Pretender" Brian Eno _Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)_
"Just Pretend" Department S _Is Vic There?_
"Let's Pretend" The Cannanes _Frightening Thing_

"Love Is Just The Great Pretender" Animal Nightlife _Love Is Just The Great Pretender_
"Let's Pretend" Cinerama _Disco Volante_
"Let's Pretend We're Bunny Rabbits" The Magnetic Fields _69 Love Songs_
"Pretend" Girlboy Girl _Fresco_

"You Pretend To Be The Moon" Future Bible Heroes _Memories Of Love_

(part two)

"Pretend Not To Care" Crippled Pilgrims _Down Here (Collected Recordings 1983-1985)_
"The Young Pretenders" Red Sleeping Beauty _Soundtrack_
"Just Pretending" My Dad Is Dead _Pet Sounds Volume One - A Benefit For Alter_

"Pretend To Smile" Le Futur Pompiste _Your Stories & Your Thoughts_
"Pretending Part 2" Tiger Baby _Lost In You_
"Trying To Pretend" Vivian Girls _Share The Joy_
"Pretend To Be Brave" BOAT _Pretend To Be Brave_

"Pretend It's Love" The Postelles _...And It Shook Me_
"Pretend & Descend" Magic Bullets _Magic Bullets_
"Pretend That We're Smart" Candyaudioline _Summer Escape_
"Pretend Girlfriend" Spray _Children Of A Laser God_

"Pretending To Be Drunk" Sparks _Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat_

No comments: