Saturday, March 05, 2016

The Gary Files # 23: Gary Kurtz

(Taken from this page.)

An explanation: Since the name Gary is going extinct, I thought it incumbent upon me to celebrate more notable Garys than myself.  This is the twenty-third of a series!

Gary Kurtz is, according to the Wikipedia, "an American film producer whose list of credits includes American Graffiti (1973), Star Wars (1977), The Empire Strikes Back (1980), The Dark Crystal (1982), & Return to Oz (1985)."

When did you first become aware of him?  I told you I was a credits reader!  I saw his name in the credits for all the Star Wars movies

Did you know, when you were a kid, what a producer did?  Nope.

Do you now know what a producer does?  I think it depends on the producer, doesn't it?

I don't know.  I don't know what a producer does.  Oh, I thought you were trying to trip me up

Why would I do that?  I don't know, it seems like the sort of thing you'd do.

It is?  It would make the interview more fun, you know, maybe, just to say "aha!" every once in a while.

Oh I'd never do that a friend!  Right, but, you know, it's this interview format.

We're friends, right?  Uh.  I mean, you ask me questions once a week, I answer them.  I think our relationship is more - for lack of a better word - professional.

Oh.  What, did I hurt your feelings?

No, no.  It sounds like I hurt your feelings.

No, I'm fine.  Let's just get on with it.  Was his name really Gary?  Apparently so.

Born in 1940.  Probably named after Gary Cooper?  I would guess so.

I think we covered everything.  Yeah, not a lot to talk about with a producer.  Hm.

Would you like to get a drink or something after this?  Uh - I'm going to dinner with my wife, actually.

I understand.  Sniff.

Oh for fuck's sake.

No comments: