Sunday, April 10, 2016

Cradle To Grave, Episode Eighteen


Hey!  This one actually aired!

As I said yesterday, this will be the last prerecorded Cradle To Grave, as the show moves to a new timeslot & gets the - advantage, maybe? - of being live.  You may not believe this, but I don't really like my voice all that much, & more than that, I usually hate to hear what comes out of my mouth.  So doing the show at home was problematic for the reason that I would be tempted to edit most everything I said.  & I succumbed to that temptation a lot.  This will not be the case for this Friday's live version of Cradle To Grave, so it could be more terrible than even these prerecorded versions - so bad I'll wish I could edit it.  Honestly, if it weren't for the convenience, I'd prefer to be able to cut my ramblings down to spare the world from them.

Also, on this week's show, I celebrate the life of a producer, Martin Hannett.  I don't know if I've done this before.  I've focused on songwriters, but not the people behind the recordings.  That probably won't be a common thing, but Hannett produced a lot of my favorite music, so it would've been difficult for me to exclude him.  I promise to draw the line at "executive producers"!

The show is resting, as in a cradle or a grave, at the Self Help Radio website where else?  The show, of course, is in two parts: birthdays in the first hour, death anniversaries in the second.  You can see what songs I played in each part below.

(birthdays)

"Franklin Street Blues" Louis Dumaine's Jazzola Eight _Breaking Out Of New Orleans_
"Look What You've Missed" Sharkey Bonano _The Good Time Jazz Story_
"Barnyard Blues" Eddie Edwards & His Original Dixieland Jazz Band _Eddie Edwards & His Original Dixieland Jazz Band with Tony Sbarbaro_
"Coolin' With Dash" Julian Dash _Chicken Shack Boogie, Vol. 4_
"Sho' Nuff Melon" Reuben Wilson _Blue Break Beats, Vol. 3_

"Water Boy" Paul Robeson _Folk Song America: A 20th Century Revival_
"Texas Blues" Mance Lipscomb _Songster_
"Matchbox" Carl Perkins _The Sun Records Collection_
"Put It On" Count Rockin' Sidney with the Dukes _Southern Funkin': Louisiana Funk & Soul 1967-1970_
"Mutual Admiration Society" Virginia Gibson & Ethel Merman _Happy Hunting (Original Broadway Cast Recording)_

"Forever & A Day" Terry Knight & The Pack _Reflections_
"The Night Chicago Died" Paper Lace _Super Hits Of The '70s: Have A Nice Day, Vol. 13_
"Tiger Feet" Mud _Jackie The Album_
"We Will All Go Together When We Go" Tom Lehrer _The Remains Of Tom Lehrer_
"Maybe You'll Appreciate Me Someday" Kay Adams _Killers Three OST_

(death anniversaries)

"At The Jazz Band Ball" The Original Dixieland Jass Band _Remastered_
"Royal Garden Blues" The Mezzrow-Ladnier Quintet _Mezz Mezzrow: 1936-1939_
"Blues Negres" Cleoma Falcon _Hot Women: Women Singers From The Torrid Regions Of The World_
"Hobo Blues" James Yank Rachell _Complete Recorded Works, Vol. 2 (1938-1941)_

"You Got Me Hummin'" Sam & Dave _The Complete Stax-Volt Singles 1959-1968_
"La-La (Means I Love You)" The Delfonics _La-La Means I Love You: The Definitive Collection_
"Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" Brook Benton _Home Style_
"Kulu Sé Mama" John Coltrane _Kulu Sé Mama_

"Changes (Live)" Phil Ochs _Farewells & Fantasies_
"Live Like A Lady" The Remo Four _Smile!_
"She's Lost Control" Joy Division _Unknown Pleasures_

"Negativland" Neu! _Neu!_

No comments: