Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Preface To A Tender Show: Tender-Hearted Me

It's true!  I am tender-hearted.  Listen to this, which appeared in this month's Harper's, in the Findings section:

"Slugs are eating baby birds, but no defense mechanism has yet been exhibited by adult birds, one of whom was observed incubating a slug that was eating the bird’s chicks."

That makes me so sad.  It was really, really hard to copy that from the magazine.  But I can't stop thinking about it.

& I cry at movies, & at television shows, & all sorts of things.  I was very moved by the movie Ulee's Gold, for example, which I saw with my friend Molly.  I wept at the very end, & she was a bit astonished; she told me, "You're like a hard candy with a soft center!"

Maybe this is all evident to you - I was told by someone who had first heard me on the radio that he pictured me as a rather frail, fey boy, since I played so much twee music.  Alas, that is not the case.  At least on the outside.  But boy am I tender-hearted!

No comments: