Saturday, April 06, 2019

Self Help Radio 040619: The Days Of The Week

(Original image here.)

The show is a day late & it was recorded while a thunderstorm ripped through Fort Worth this morning - I was afraid the power would go out - but by gum here's the show where every song mentions (at least once) all the days of the week.  In retrospect, it wasn't that difficult to put together, but I did collect songs for over a year.  I wish I could do that with all my themes!

As well, it's the next-to-the-last episode before the show goes on hiatus while the wife & I & our brood move to Portland.  I will need the time off but I'll miss doing the show!

Never mind that: please enjoy this ridiculous episode of Self Help Radio which is of course at Self Help Radio dot net.  Remember! The username is SHR, the password is selfhelp.  All that happens on the show is listed below.

Also, might I add sundaymondaytuesdaywednesdaythursdayfridaysaturday?  I needed to say it one last time.

Self Help Radio Days Of The Week Show

"A Man For Every Day In The Week" Sippie Wallace _Louis Armstrong & The Blues Singers_
"My Sunday Gal" Cab Calloway & His Orchestra _1932_
"I Love To Walk In The Rain" Shirley Temple _Remember Shirley_

introduction & definitions

"Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just As Bad)" T-Bone Walker _The Original Source_
"Ain't It A Shame To Go Fishin' On A Sunday" Lead Belly _Lead Belly's Last Sessions_
"Lucy Mae Blues" Frankie Lee Sims _Lucie Mae Blues_
"Blue Monday" Fats Domino _The Fats Domino Jukebox_
"Everyday Of The Week" The Students _The Doo-Wop Box_

Marge Most & Ned Dry interrupt!

"I Met Him On A Sunday (Ronde-Ronde)" The Shirelles _The Shirelles Forever_
"Never On Sunday" The Chordettes _Golden Classics_
"Seven Day Fool" Etta James _The Essential Etta James_
"Let's Go Steady Again" Neil Sedaka _Oh Carol: The Complete Recordings 1956-1966_
"Solomon Gundie" Eric Morris _Intensified_

interview with cultural historian Malcolm Puckfuppet

"Nothing" The Fugs _First Album_
"2 Day's Monday" Scaffold _Thank U Very Much: The Very Best Of Scaffold_
"Police On My Back" The Equals _Greatest Hits_
"Coney Island Steeplechase" The Velvet Underground _Another View_
"The Quiet Man" John Prine _The Singing Mailman Delivers: Live Performance, 1970_

discussion: the origin of the names of the days of the week

"Tuesday Morning" Denny Doherty _Watcha Gonna Do_
"A Wednesday Car" Johnny Cash _The Rambler_
"La Grande Illusion" Television Personalities _...And Don't the Kids Just Love It_
"7 Nights To Rock" Nick Lowe & His Cowboy Outfit _The Rose Of England_
"Sunday's Slave" Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds _Tender Prey_

discussion: the origin of the length of the week

"Roots Rock Reggae" Pato Banton & The Reggae Revolution _Visions Of The World_
"Friday I'm In Love" The Cure _Wish_
"Without You" Bruce Springsteen _Blood Brothers_
"Days Of The Week" Dr. Jean Feldman _Dr. Jean & Friends_
"Black Betty" Tom Jones _Mr. Jones_

conclusion & goodbye

"Seven Days Of The Week (I Never Go To Work)" They Might Be Giants _Here Come The 123s_
"Thirsty Thursday" The Lancashire Hotpots _A Fistful Of Scratchcards_
"The Second Summer" Memphis _I Dreamed We Fell Apart_
"Saturday Night" Colton Turner _Colton Turner_

No comments: