Thursday, June 20, 2019

Whither Fuzz?

(Image from here.)

This portion of the blog - the point in the week, usually the day before the show, where I discuss how I came up with the upcoming theme - I've been doing this since the beginning of the blog, seventy-nine years ago.  The presumption - wholly mine - was that surely there was an interesting story behind every idea.  I guess I was imagining myself being constantly inspired, like the show was always on the forefront of my mind, & those moments of inspiration - happening like an epiphany - would be good narratives.

This has not proven to be the case.  Here are the two main origins of themes for Self Help Radio:

1) I don't know.
2) I can't recall.

They may seem the same, but one is utter ignorance, the other is a somber recognition of my increasingly faulty memory.

Indeed, it's often the case that I know more why possible reasons for the show's theme are false than why they're true.  For example, this week's show, which is about fuzz: it's not because of the noise, or the effects pedal.  I wasn't really thinking that, & have been happily surprised there are many songs celebrating that aspect of fuzz.

While I can't say it with much certainty, if there's a discernible origin for this week's show, it's the fact that I am surrounded by fuzzy creatures.  Dogs & cats.  Too much fuzz.  If in fact they gave me the idea for the show, well, they're not taking the credit.  But they've heard me ruin good ideas time & again.

So let's hope I clear up my fuzzy brain & get the show together at noon tomorrow over on Self Help Radio dot net.  There are lots of songs with lots of fuzz & there'll even be an interview or two.  It won't give you the warm fuzzies or anything, but it'll be better than being shot by the fuzz.  You know?

No comments: