Saturday, September 07, 2019

Preface To Passion: It Feels So Weird To Write This On A Saturday

Guess I'll have to get used to it!

Here's something I might or might not have said: I'll be doing two radio shows on Monday.  That's right, in addition to Self Help Radio I'm going to be subbing a show on XRAY called What I Like.  It's super fun & I will in no way be able to capture how good it is when DJ Flash Gordon Quarterback New York Jets is on, so I think I'm going to repurpose an old Self Help Radio.

Something I might also not have mentioned is that I spent all day Sunday working on the first Self Help Radio in Portland & got maybe three hours sleep.  Part of that was bad planning.  A lot of it is my anxiety keeping me awake.  I haven't overslept for a show in years but my brains acts like I will
probably do it if I don't fret about it for hours before I stumble into a fitful, rem-less sleep.

Thinking of sleep, I have fond memories of falling asleep in class.  In both high school & college, I feel like I had the most restful naps when, bored stiff, I'd pretend to be taking notes & cover my downcast face with my hand & just doze off.  Inevitably the elbow of my right arm would give way & it would wake me.  I'd be confused but oh so refreshed.

Now when I am busy listening to music or writing some fake ad or editing an interview, the urge to sleep is strong.  I never knew how fucking lazy I was until I started putting more work into this show.

Speaking of: I know it's a Saturday night but I am going to go to sleep now so I can wake up early to work on two shows for Monday.  Please don't envy me this rock star lifestyle - I put my pants on one leg at a time like you do.  Although now you're making me feel that's the wrong way to do it.  Should I be doing it two legs at a time?  Three?  Four?

See you in the a.m.

No comments: