Sunday, February 02, 2020

Whither Moths?

(An infestation! From here.)

The truth is, I first thought about doing a show about moths ten years ago, sometime in 2010.  I had been obsessed with the song "Melonella" by the Cocteau Twins, which just features Liz Fraser singing the Latin names in the Lepidoptera family, which includes butterflies & moths.  Since the name of the song is the scientific name for the wax moth, I figured I'd focus on moths instead of butterflies.  I had a sense that butterfly songs would be easier to find.  & I was right!

There hasn't been a Self Help Radio show about butterflies yet, but the moth show is happening, & I am not surprised to note that I have ten or so songs that have been released since 2010 in my folder of possible songs to play.  That's ten songs less than I would have had in 2010.  It only goes to show.  Sometimes the caterpillar of a show needs to crawl into its cocoon before it's ready to emerge.  As the moth show will do tomorrow morning.

Yes, Monday morning, 6-8 am, 90.3+98.3fm, Freeform Portland, freeformportland.org.  There'll be a lot of fluttering, & maybe not as much beauty, & possibly much more damage to clothes & crops, but we'll celebrate the little buggers as best we can.  The show will have a two hour lifespan!

No comments: