Sunday, May 10, 2020

Whither A Personal Show?

(Image from here.)

Do you want to know a phrase I dislike?  It's this one: I ain't gonna lie.  It's supposed to mean, "I'm going to tell it to you straight," with the implication that the circumstances warrant no softening of language.  But it also suggests that the speaker lies a lot.  It's a bit of linguistic fluff people pepper their speech with because they have to fill up space somehow - whether to think about what to say next or because they have very little to say.  & it irks me.

Having said that, I ain't gonna lie, I probably won't have a new Self Help Radio ready till late tomorrow.  I have been feeling under the weather & have wanted to sleep most of today, although I haven't.  I will rest some tonight & see how I feel in the morning.  But I'll do my level best to get the show done - I know very few people listen, if any, but certainly I'd like the funny contributions of my co-conspirators to be heard.  They were great this week.

If this seems like too much personal information, then, sorry, that's what the entire show is about this week.  Not just me, either - it seems like every song takes it personally.

Look for the show tomorrow at the Self Help Radio website.  I'll announce it here of course.  Now.  I need to sleep.

No comments: