Saturday, June 13, 2020

Preface To Masks: Outlaws All

Yee haw.  I'm an outlaw.  I'm a bandit.  Mainly in my own head.  But now?  I get to wear a mask wherever I go!

Not like a Halloween mask, you understand.  Not a Spider-Man mask or Batman cowl.  Nope, the sort of mask that outlaws in Westerns wear, or that bank robbers wear when they step into the bank ready to rob it.  Although some of them do enjoy wearing full-head masks, especially those of presidents for some reason.  That's not the kind of mask I'm wearing!

& you know it's not just me!  It's a lot of folks.  Some folks aren't, of course, because they have some point to prove.  Maybe it makes them feel like outlaws too?  "When masks are required, only outlaws don't wear masks."  I think somebody famous said that.

So we're all feeling like outlaws!  Those of us who just feel like it because we're wearing masks, & those others who are kind of awful & selfish who think they're protesting some injustice done to them.

How can we all be outlaws?  Maybe masks don't make someone an outlaw.  But outlaws wear masks!  Without the mask, I'm just someone who's more likely to not only catch a deadly virus but also spread it to someone else if I've got it but am asymptomatic.

Also, my wife bought me a mask with a neat kind of design on it, which is attractive but of course if I were a real outlaw it would be used to identify me to the law.

Honestly, I feel less & less like an outlaw now.  Dang it!  Why do I think things through?  Nothing good ever comes of it.

No comments: