Sunday, June 07, 2020

Whither Cups?

(Image from here.)

Let me, a person with a radio show, present you with a broken record: there probably won't be a new Self Help Radio tomorrow.  Other things - including the horrible shit going down in this country & the reactions to it, which have been in many cases inspiring & uplifting - have made it hard to concentrate.  I will have the show done sometime Tuesday for sure, but there's the slimmest of chances it'll be done tomorrow so I'm writing about this today.

Someone did ask me, "Why a show about cups?"  Someone else said to me that they liked that The Dickenbock Report is generally about a theme because it's that theme's day, or because it's someone's birthday, or because it refers to an event that happened that day.  Self Help Radio, they noted, is not like that.  The themes don't really have anything to do with anything other than the fact that they're that week's theme.  & that person was right.  It's sometimes hard to explore a theme if it has to have a real-word analog.  I would probably be constantly re-doing themes if that were the case.  Although I am certain there's a "national cup day" some time.

But back to what that first person asked: "Why a show about cups?"  This is a dumb reason, but above me, in my little room where I have my records, CDs, computer, & other crap, there's a built-in shelf.  On that shelf either I or my wife decided to store my old radio coffee cups there.  I have one from KTSB days, one from RFL, a Kurt Vonnegut cup someone gave me, two old Self Help Radio mugs, & a KNON pint glass.  When I am leaning back in my chair, I sometimes glance up & see them.  & I think, "Cups."

That's the kind of subliminal inspiration I get for Self Help Radio shows.

So - maybe a new episode tomorrow?  But get this: if there is a new episode Tuesday, it will be preceded by two old episodes.  That's right!  From midnight to 3am on KBOO, I'll present two previously unaired Self Help Radio shows (edited to ninety minutes each) in the space where The Dickenbock Report airs on the 1st & 3rd Tuesdays.  That's the KBOO premiere of Self Help Radio!  I'm working on editing those shows as we speak, which gets in the way of making the new show, which should be a priority, but I'm excited because I get to do Self Help Radio live Tuesday morning, from my room of course.  The room with the cups.

The episode will happen on Self Help Radio dot net sooner than later.  I promise.  The KBOO episodes will definitely happen sooner.  It's too exciting for me, & it feels weird since the world is going you know to hell.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Listening to kboo right now!