Sunday, September 13, 2020

Whither Fiction?

 
(Image from here.)

Trying to think just why I would do a radio show about fiction...  I'm almost certain it's because I listened to the Lucksmiths record Warmer Corners very close to the time I listened to the Joni Mitchell record Dog Eat Dog.  Not necessarily one after the other, maybe not even the same day - but close enough that I thought "Hey, both records have songs I like called 'Fiction'!"  & when I have thoughts like that, it means I'll probably want to do a show about it.  The deal was probably sealed when I was listening to a Kelley Stoltz record - In Triangle Time - & there was a song called "Fictional Girl" on it.

As someone who loves fiction & probably reads too much of it, I struggled with what to include with the show - someday surely I'll do a show about books & I really do one day (if I haven't already - let me check) should do a show about libraries.  So how many songs about fiction that don't mention fiction I could include was somewhat hampered by other themes waiting in the wings.

What will get played?  You'll have to listen tomorrow - Monday morning - on Freeform Portland, 90.3 & 98.3 fm & freeformportland.org.  From 8-10am.  & as usual, it will be entirely unreal, which is to say, a work of fiction.

No comments: