Sunday, October 25, 2020

Preface To Halloween 2020: Isn't Life Enough Of A Horror?

There are many places on this blog where I recount all my Halloween themes & bemoan the fact that eventually I'll run out of them.  I've done Halloween shows about ghosts, vampires, monsters, zombies, witches, werewolves, haunted houses, graveyards, nightmares, hell, mummies, clowns, death, black cats, voodoo, & Frankenstein*.  It's only a matter of time until I start repeating myself.  But not this year!

But do we really need a Halloween this year?  Hasn't everything been horrible enough?  Halloween is on a Saturday night this year.  I remember when we were kids & Halloween happened on the weekend - I think it was on a Friday in 1981 & a Saturday in 1982 - but by then I had pretty much aged out of trick or treating.  Although I probably went, because, you know, candy.

Are there any guidelines for Halloween this year?  I don't think I want to hand out candy.  Should I be getting candy to hand out?  Have I even seen the candy displays at Costco or other stores?

In this sense I'm grateful this year's show is about horror movies.  Horror movies are forever.  There are probably horror movies about the coronavirus in production as we speak.  Hooray for horror films!

Boo for 2020!  I suspect it'll only get worse from here, however.  The year 2020 has replaced all my hope with nausea & dread.  As the disgraced Louis CK once said, "An optimist is someone who goes, 'Hey, maybe something nice will happen!' Why the fuck would anything nice ever happen?"

Boy did he demonstrate that in his own life!

* You can find most of them & even listen to them on the Self Help Radio Halloween page!

No comments: