Saturday, October 10, 2020

Preface To Traps: Kind Of Apologies

When I left KOOP in 2008, I left without needing to take a break or a sabbatical or really ever relinquishing the many tasks I volunteered for.  I remember proudly saying to someone, "I never burned out."  Which is true.  There are people who needed to recharge after being so involved, & there were people who left & never came back.  Technically, I left & never came back, but I was moving away, so I couldn't come back, not without great expense.

Just the other day, in reference to my current work, someone told me they didn't want me to burn out.  "I don't burn out," I said.

No, I guess I don't.  I just get tired.  There are so many things I could be doing to help out that I have to say no to because I am programming three radio shows a week.  I was doing this earlier in the year, of course, but there is something different about going to a station to do a show.  Even when I am doing a show from home, I'm working on it till the last possible minute.  Frankly I think broadcasting from home brings out my worst procrastinating tendencies.

Which is a kind of long-winded way of saying I opted out of the bells & whistles for this week's Self Help Radio.  I usually put a good deal of work into the show - interviews & what-not - although recording it adds more time - but I just didn't have the energy this week.  The show's in the can, it'll be on the air on Monday morning - you'll understand what I mean when you hear it.

What I could have done was take a week off - although it probably wouldn't have resulted in me catching up in any meaningful way - but instead I just simply made a radio show a bit like Self Help Radio used to be - although without a lot of research.

In sum, I owe you an apology.  Even if you don't listen, I owe you an apology.  Even if you don't think I owe you an apology, I owe you an apology.  I owe myself an apology too.  That's the trouble with setting a standard for one's radio show.  It just feels ugly to not meet it.  & Self Help Radio has such low standards to begin with!

So - sorry.  Sorry for this week's half-assed show.  I am hoping my Thursday morning gig will be done soon, & I'll have more time to spend on other things - including Self Help Radio.

Related question: am I burnt out?  Is being tired all the time burnt out?


No comments: