Saturday, May 29, 2021

Photographs Of Places I've Lived # 0: I Think I Went Down The Wrong Street

Oh no.

In my visit last week to Dallas, I was able to see a copy of my birth certificate, which let me know the house in which my family lived when I was born.  One morning that weekend, I drove to that house, I thought, & snapped a picture.

For some reason, I can't seem to find where I put that birth certificate when I got home.  I'm sure it's not lost, it's just not currently at hand.  I found the picture I took, & then I double-checked with Google Maps to make sure it's the right address &...  I think I got the street wrong.

When I have a little more time next week I'll double-check.  I might have gotten it right.  But I don't think I did.

The series started in the first place I lived about which I have memories & ended in the place where I currently live.  I believe I covered 23 places I've lived in my 53 years.  But I think I am missing two - the house on my birth certificate, & the one in which we lived before my mother left my father.  No one seems to know the address of that one, just the street, but both were in the same neighborhood.  In my first eighteen years on this planet, I lived in an area that was mostly constrained by Garland Road on the west, Kingsley Road to the south, First Street on the east, & Miller Road to the North.  I did apparently live a few houses north of Miller before I was four, & I did live south of Kingsley for a year in the mid-1970s, but only one street south.  (Also for six months in 1982, we lived maybe a half mile south of Kingsley. I almost forgot that.)  Otherwise, you could basically take a walking tour of the places I've lived & it might be a little tedious, especially in the summer heat, but it wouldn't take you longer than a couple hours.

Not that that's something I would recommend.

No comments: