Sunday, May 30, 2021

Preface To An Important Show: Head Full Of Steam

Tomorrow I'll talk about why this week's show will be "important" but today I'll talk about a song that I'm not going to play on the show but it's the first song I think about when I think about songs in which some form of "important" features.  I'm not going to play it because it's not that prominent - it's just a line, really.  & it's kind of out-of-character for the songwriter.  It's this song:

Hm, for some reason I can't embed, so you can hear the song/watch the video here.

It's "Head Full Of Steam" by the Go-Betweens, & the lyrics are by Robert Forster, who sings the song.  The line I'm thinking about is: "Her father works, her mother works in exports, but that's of no importance at all."  It's quite punny & clever & the truth is, I don't think of Robert Forster as a punny clever songwriter.  I would've expected that from Elvis Costello.

It's a song I love very much, however.  I got to see Robert Forster in late 2019 & my heart skipped a beat when he played this.  It made up for him not playing "Baby Stones."

No comments: