Monday, May 24, 2021

Whither IDM The Early Years?

(Image from here.)

That link above - which is https://www.festivalsherpa.com/what-is-idm/ - would answer the question, "What is IDM?" if you don't know.  To quote from the article, "Intelligent dance music (or IDM) is a form of electronic music influenced by underground dance music like Detroit techno & various breakbeat styles emerging in the UK in the early '90s. The atmospheric & beat-oriented music is more likely to be appreciated with a good pair of headphones than on the dance floor. Born out of a fusion between hard-edged dance music & downtempo music, IDM is usually dense & thought-provoking."

Most fans of IDM hate that that stands for "intelligent dance music" - especially since much of it wouldn't be any fun to dance to.  But it's the genre of electronica that got me interested in electronica in the first place.  It's basically pretty electronica.

As I explained yesterday, I made this show previously as an "evergreen" in case a live remote Dickenbock Report went off the air.  As far as I know, that version was never used.  Because I knew I'd be out of town this past weekend, I repurposed the show for Self Help Radio tonight.  It's IDM from 1992-1994, when the genre was new.

It's on 90.7 fm KBOO from midnight to 3am.  Listen at kboo.fm if you're not in town.  It'll be lots of long electronica sounds & very little of me.  So probably a good show!

No comments: