Monday, September 13, 2021

Whither Dare?

(Original image is here.)

This week's theme on Self Help Radio is but a single word: 'dare.' But what a word it is! It's a verb first & foremost but it's also a noun (the verb came first) (how do I know that?) (etymonline.com told me) (oh)! Plus it has an adjectival form ('daring') & if you are a cool enough word to have an adjectival form, you're worthy of an entire radio show about you!

That's all fine & good but is the show about the verb or the noun?  Why does it have to be one or the other?  What about a song in which someone 'dares a dare'?  Does such a song exist?  Maybe not, but if it did, it would be on this show!  We're about all things 'dare.'  We're 'daring.' It's as if someone dared us to be daring!

Which brings me to: is that the reason this show is about the word 'dare'?  The truth is, the origins of this theme are lost to the misty haze of time.  It must have been months ago - at least weeks - that the idea of a show prominently featuring the word 'dare' came to me.  But who remembers yesterday, let alone several weeks ago?  There must be a reason that I don't recall it - so I don't dare attempt to explore the whys & wherefores of this show!

All I know is I dare you to listen, tonight, from midnight to 3am, on 90.7 fm KBOO Portland, online at kboo.fm.  The truth is, it's a dare - you've been dared to tune in!  & if you won't - how dare you!

No comments: