Sunday, December 12, 2021

Preface To Gary's Favorite Music 2021: What A Year It Was

(You wanna ask Rate Your Music?)

This was a very busy year for me.  I made lots of radio shows - usually two a week.  I made music mixes for XRAY FM.  I subbed a few shows for KBOO.  I'll have a count at the end of the month, but it was a lot.  & while I eventually got to do Self Help Radio live at KBOO, I continue to make the Dickenbock Report from home.  It's one thing to gather material for a show, then go to a radio station & do that show, it's another thing entirely to record & edit your airbreaks & then assemble the show in an audio editing program.  I'm sure I've complained about this on the blog before, but suffice it to say, it takes way more time than you might imagine.

If it sounds like there's some complaining going on, there is.  & maybe I'm trying to make an excuse or two.  I felt like I was so busy listening to music for the radio & for my shows that I didn't spend as much time listening to music for me.  & as such, I'm not sure how representative the music I'll play tomorrow is of "my favorite music."  In many cases, it's the music I listened to most, which sort of defines "favorite" for me.  But in some important cases, it was something I only got to listen to once or twice but I really, really liked it, & hoped to make time for it later on.  It's now too late to make that time.  So I'll call it a favorite & hope it stands the test.

This is an admonition, then.  A caveat.  A disclaimer.  & I suppose I'll continue it tomorrow.

No comments: