Saturday, December 11, 2021

Adoption Day


We've been calling today "Adoption Day" because on this day in 2012, we adopted our beloved Pauline.  She was very smol when we adopted her, barely two months old, but the picture above was taken in our Fort Worth backyard on this day in 2016, when she was just four years old.  She was a bit scrawnier in those days!

We adopted her the day after our beloved George died.  He was our first dog to die - & my wife's dog before she & I met - so the hours after his death were painful & oppressive.  I drank half a bottle of whiskey & didn't get drunk.  I suggested to my wife - who cried more that day than any time I had ever seen - that we might get another dog, a puppy, by & by.  She surprised me by finding Pauline the very next day.

Pauline saved us from all that grief.  We still missed George terribly, but she was young, she needed attention, she loved to play, & we just had to focus on her.  She probably doesn't know that she did all that.  I spent some time today snuggling with her on the sofa.  I love her terribly, more than I thought I could nine years later.


No comments: