Sunday, January 02, 2022

Preface To A Handsome Show: Never Handsome

(It's come to this.  Image from here.)

The show tomorrow explores handsomeness & I have to say, I'm not a handsome man, so I cannot speak as an expert or even really as an admirer.  There are some handsome men I understand the allure of - George Clooney, Idris Elba, & Jon Hamm come to mind - but I also find some pretty awkward men a bit handsome - & I'd give you examples but I'm afraid you'd just me harshly.

& listen, the internet is fucking scary.  I thought I'd ask the Goggle machine, "Who is someone you think is handsome that most people don't" & it took me to this Quora page entitled "Are there any handsome guys who don't think they're handsome at all?" (not what I asked) which has this first terrifying response:

"Yes, but it commonly comes along with a whole HOST of shitty pysche problems. One of my Marine friends was devastatingly handsome. Like shit you not, fucking model like. That said, when he was a kid his dad whored him out to other men as a toy. Couldn’t handle it when people said he was attractive. He thought they were fucking with him. So we got drunk one night and I broke his nose. He refused treatment so it healed all weird. Every girl in my social circle hated me, but he was thrilled."

Can we go back to "his dad whored him out to other men as a toy"?  What a thing to say in what amounts to passing?  & also the got drunk/broke his nose thing is a bit confusing too.  I've been very drunk in my life & I've hardly broken anyone's nose.  Not a one in fact.  Not even mine!

Good new, there's a helpful coda, written by the same fellow:

Handsome/Beautiful is a title YOU place upon a person, strictly based on visual judgement. They might think of themselves in a completely contrary manner.

So yeah.  That's fine.  But his dad whored him out to other men as a toy?!?!

This is something I'll need to walk away from.

No comments: