Sunday, July 24, 2022

Preface To Ponies: My Little Pony

(Cute! Image from here.)

Wikipedia tells me, "My Pretty Pony is a pony figurine introduced by Hasbro in 1981 that was created by illustrator Bonnie Zacherle & sculptor Charles Muenchinger. My Pretty Pony is a ten-inch-tall hard plastic figurine that can wiggle its ears, swish its tail, & wink one eye."

In 1981, I was thirteen & if you had asked me before I started writing this, I would have said I was still watching cartoons on Saturday morning television.  But maybe I wasn't - or maybe I just slept in on the weekends, because I don't really remember watching many of the shows from this schedule, also courtesy the Wikipedia:


Wow, I think I would've loved the Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam! But looking at the episode page, I have no memory of it, or Hero High.  I probably would not have been very enamored with Laverne & Shirley In The Army, though. Anyway, I do know that I did watch some Saturday morning television because I have a distinct memory of the first commercial from this Youtube Collection Of My Little Pony Commercials.

Above I noted that the little pony was cute.  It was not an opinion I had nor I would've shared if I had had it when I first saw the My Little Ponies.  Obviously they were marketed toward little girls.  & while at 13 I might have had much more in common with your average little girl than boys my age, I really was more into Star Wars & Star Trek & comic books than My Little Ponys.

Perhaps we'll talk a little bit about them on the show tomorrow.  They have been around for generations & continue to thrive, as far as I can tell.  After the show though, I probably won't think much about them ever again.

No comments: