Sunday, October 02, 2022

Preface To 1970 Revisited: 1970 Again


(image from here.)

Every year around the time of the show's anniversary, Self Help Radio revisits an old theme.  This week's show is the 20th anniversary show (!!) so I looked back & decided I would find some more of my favorite songs from 1970 & play them.  Looking back at that old playlist, I am struck by one thing that unnerves me: the musicians featured are all men (unless you count the two women in the Free Design, who sing with the men in the group) & all but three are white.  I am saddened & disturbed by that.  I knew I loved a more diverse range of music from that year.

The original 1970 show aired the week of my birthday, like I do, & I usually write on the blog about things happening to me that year.  This blog started in late 2006, so I wasn't writing anything about the show when it first happened, but also, I was two years old in 1970.  I have almost no memory about anything that happened that year of my life, & what memories I do have come from stories my mother or my older siblings told me.

What I do know is that it was a pretty great year for music - even if I almost certainly don't like most of the music love from that year.  So I am glad to get a chance to revisit it.

Hope I don't fuck it up!

No comments: