Monday, October 03, 2022

Whither 1970 Revisited?

(image from here.)

Self Help Radio had its first episode on October 9, 2002. It was a Wednesday in Austin, at 2 in the afternoon.  I've told the story about the weird hoops I had to jump through to get on the air on KOOP many times before, so I shan't again, but I will say that I had no idea I'd be doing the show twenty years later.  I wasn't sure I'd be doing the show a year later, to be honest.

The show aired on KOOP from 2002 to 2008. It didn't exist except as a podcast for a year, then it aired from 2009 to 2010 on WMUL in Huntington, West Virginia. We moved to Lexington, Kentucky, where it aired from 2010 to 2016 on WRFL. Though we moved to Fort Worth, Texas, in the summer of that year, it continued to air in Kentucky on WLXU in Lexington for a couple more years. It was a lonesome podcast again after that until it found a home on Freeform Portland in 2019, just a few months after we arrived, & it moved to KBOO in 2020 in the middle of the pandemic, where it has been ever since. I myself have done shows on a few more stations that never aired Self Help Radio though I tried doing the show there! For different reasons, they wouldn't let me.

Once upon a time, I counted all the themes I've covered. I won't do that right now. It's been a lot. There's a list on the website, actually. One of the things I started to do for my anniversary shows - it looks like in 2008, on the show's sixth anniversary - is to revisit an old theme. & I decided this year to revisit my favorite music from 1970, a theme I first explored in 2006. I explained yesterday how I'll do this & I've been sharing music videos of the songs I previously played this past week on the show's Facebook page.  I won't play any of those releases tonight.

& you know what? I have much more music I love from 1970 than even the music I'll play tonight. It's maddening how much music is out there that I love to listen to. I'm glad I have a radio show so I can share it with you!

Celebrate twenty years of Self Help Radio (if you can) tonight on 90.7fm KBOO Portland. We're online everywhere at kboo.fm. Oh yeah. It's on midnight to 3am.

No comments: