Monday, January 16, 2023

Whither 1987?

(image from here)

Maybe I'll play something from that JAMMS record above tonight. I certainly enjoyed it in 1987!

Every year around my birthday, I play music from records, singles, & EPs released in a particular year. This is a Self Help Radio tradition dating back to 2003, when the show wasn't even a year old - it happened on my birthday, so I played music from the year of my birth, which is 1968. Each year, I progress one more year, & this year, I've made it to 1987 - which was a very important year in music for me.

This may be the first year - I can't be sure about this but - it may be the first year in this series when the majority of the music I play is actually music I was listening to that year. I spent every extra cent I had on records - & on music magazines, where I learned about upcoming records.

It's safe to be back in the KBOO studios so I'll be there live tonight from midnight to 3am Portland time. The show will air in Portland town at 90.7fm & it will stream all over the world at kboo.fm.

Nineteen-year-old me would not believe many things about himself in 2023 - but he would certainly believe the music that meant so much to him then would still mean the world to him now.

No comments: