Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Preface To Trembling: A Haiku

(a trembling icon found here)

Here goes:

You can't say trembling
Is something that's resembling
Plain old dissembling

First of all, bonus points for me, a haiku whose lines also rhyme. Even if it makes no sense.

Also: dissembling is a word I learned from a person in ninth grade who used it incorrectly. He would often accuse me of dissembling when he thought I was lying. I looked it up & tried to correct him but he felt I guess it was close enough to lying to be used in that way. I remember I said to him once, in response, "I'm no dissembler, I'm just mendacious," & he started using the word "mendacious" all the time.

For some reason, I think the fellow's name was Troy. We met in a Theatre Arts class, & maybe he was a junior or even a senior, because I didn't see him or talk to him after that class. Anyway, years later he came up in conversation with a pal & that person said, "He was always accusing me of dissembling!" & I said, "It was his way of calling you a liar." My friend said, "But that's not what dissembling means!"

No comments: