Sunday, June 02, 2024

Preface To Helicopters: Damn You John Mulaney!


It probably goes without saying that I plan my shows sometime in advance. I often get an idea & not return to it for weeks, months, even years. (My oldest folder on my computer where I save ideas is from 2010. To be fair, it isn't a very good idea.) Doing a show with the theme helicopters probably came to me in February, & I announced it on my website about a month ago.

Imagine my surprise when I took the time to watch John Mulaney's Netflix Show Everboy's In LA & discovered his third episode - which aired live May 7 but which I finally saw last week since I didn't watch the show live - was about helicopters.

Granted, his show was watched & continues to be watched by millions. My show, on the other hand, is heard by maybe three people - & not at a time. & granted, his show is always going to be better than mine - he had Joyce Manor on the show & Fred Armisen had a really sweet & cool segment with LA punks. But still I don't want to feel like a copycat!

Please accept my assurance that I did not plan a show about helicopters after seeing Mulaney's. Nor did he speed up his timetable because he knew I planned a show about helicopters in early June. We do not talk, John Mulaney & I. & a fake Bob Dylan has never called my show.

Now that that's out of the way - why a show about helicopters? I'll tell you tomorrow.

No comments: