Monday, August 17, 2026

Whither The Bayou?

A rising sun casts its reflection on a small lake.

Just to be clear, that is not a picture of the bayou. The search on my computer thought it might be an image of the bayou because I guess it's water & trees & birds. But the picture was taken in Fort Worth, Texas, & it's of a small, privately-owned body of water called Bal Lake. We lived across the street from that small, privately-owned body of water for around three years. I probably sneaked between some neighbor's houses to take the picture.

Sitting here, my head stuck in memories of the last three years I lived in Texas, I can't remember what inspired a radio show about "the bayou." I suspect it might have been a few months ago when I re-read a few issues of the Alan Moore run on Swamp Thing. I had seen something about the comic & had also been drinking late at night & perused a few issues. Some description of the bayou must have stuck with me because I jotted down the idea. Which will be explored tonight.

Just to add - I assumed "the bayou" would mainly have been in Louisiana but there do appear to be bayous in Texas so perhaps I was closer to one than I realized while I was there.

Self Help Radio's show about the bayou airs tonight on KBOO. Midnight to 2am. 90.7fm in town, kboo dot fm everywhere. Oh dear & there might be insects & snakes.

No comments: