Sunday, September 20, 2026

Preface To Masterpiece: A Peanuts Cartoon

In this Sunday Peanuts comic strip, Charlie Brown in the first panel is rolling a snowball about half his size - this is next to the strip's title, Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz. In the second panel, Charlie Brown is leaning against the snowball, his hand on his forehead, saying "Whew." In the third panel, he rolls another large snowball. In the fourth panel, he stands with hands clasped looking at his completed snowman, exclaiming, "What a masterpiece!" In the fifth panel, Charlie Brown staring directly at the snowman says, "I wish there were someone here to see it." In the sixth panel, he's turned away from his snowman & says, "I think I'll go get Linus & show it to him." The seventh panel has Charlie Brown walking toward his friend's house saying, "A little kid like Linus has probably never seen a snowman." The eighth panel has Charlie Brown shocked - expressing his surprise with an exclamation point & a question mark - as he sees Linus making a far more complicated snowman - a Davy Crockett type complete with rifle. The final panel has Charlie Brown walking back to his home saying "This is going to be a long winter..."

When I thought about the theme "masterpiece," I had a vague recollection of this Peanuts strip from December 11, 1955. It took some time to find it! It was scanned by me from the Fantagraphics collection. I think you can find the colored version here. Please enjoy.

No comments: